Sunday, October 16, 2011

the beauty of sleep

The alarm on my phone erupted, and read 1:55 AM. I had fallen asleep merely twenty minutes ago and it was painful to open my eyes. The seniors of the Champlin Park Swim and Dive Team had gathered at Laura, my fellow co-captain's house Thursday after practice. As tradition, we would be waking up the juniors on the team and bringing them out to breakfast. I had assumed that I would get around 3 hours of sleep that night, but I hadn't planned on one of the seniors insisting on keeping us up the entire night. I was glad we had set the alarm early, because just like I thought, getting ready took us a long time before we actually left and began our 'road trip'.

By the time we were eating breakfast, Friday morning, I was crabby. And sassy. Everything I didn't like to be. I kept thinking about the vacancy of my bed back at home, and I could practically feel my black and white printed comforter hug and warm my body. The idea of a pillow supporting my head and neck seemed like a luxury, not something I used every night. I felt like a drug addict; my drug was sleep.

Somehow I managed to make my way up the stairs at school and stumble into first hour. Marketing. I collapsed into my seat in the third row and hugged my purse while thinking about that bed once again. Alysa, my friend who sat next to me laughed and shook her head. She could tell by my t-shirt that advertised wake up call of what I was up to last night.

I don't remember anything about second hour.

Third period was Economics. I, unlike most of my classmates was very interested in the subject matter. The packet for our next unit was passed out by the strict sub and we were instructed to work on it. I was thrilled not to have to listen to a lecture with new information, because I knew I wouldn't have retained anything. I sped my way through the packet. The girl to my left was painting her nails, she wasn't even trying to pretend like she was working. The girl to my right had her cell phone taken away and received a referral. I laughed at their immaturity.  Even I, the girl who had gotten twenty minutes of sleep the night before was being more productive. At least until I fell asleep... I was finally comfortable. And then I felt someone tap me on the shoulder; my eyes awakened to the sub who mentioned something about sleeping in class was not allowed, I nodded my head and showed her my completed packet, as if it somehow justified my sleeping. My pulse was pounding in my head; I was never one to get in trouble. It was a huge wake up call.

The rest of the day was... better. There were no repeats of what happened in third period. I was finally awake.  But as soon as I got home after a three hour swim practice, I ran upstairs. Feeling sick, I somehow managed to leap to the bed I had been daydreaming about all day. Finally, I closed my eyes, beginning real dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment