Monday, October 24, 2011

the first house on the right

I have lived in the same house my entire life. Our house is different than any other on the block because the three car garage is perpendicular to the house, which makes a L-shape. The long concrete driveway extends far, curling around. I learned how to ride my bike on this driveway, and even though it's a pain to back out of, I much prefer ours over the standard small driveways that I see everywhere.

Walking in the wooden front door, a feeling of relief always washes over me. I am so comfortable here, no other place comes even close. The kitchen is open to the family room, making it easy to entertain and spend more time together as a family. I love the nights my younger sister and I would have sleepovers in the living room, even though both of our rooms were right upstairs. Speaking of my room, it has been lime green since I was eight years old. It is blinding. All of the furniture in my room is white, and when the light shines through from the big window... everything feels so light and clean. My basement, however, is my favorite room in the house. For years it has been the home for me and my best friends main hang out area. I couldn't count the number of secrets that have been shared there.

When I think back to who built this house, I don't have to go very far. My mom and dad purchased the lot in 1991 and built it to their liking. I love knowing that we were the only ones that have lived here. This truly is the Olson's. This truly is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment