Tuesday, October 18, 2011

last swim meet

Last night was the swim and dive team's last dual meet; it was also my last dual meet ever, since I am a senior. There were lots of girls gone due to injury and sicknesses, so our normally sixty girl team seemed much smaller. The team we were competing against was the Blaine Bengals. We had competed against them during our first meet back in September and lost badly. But we were a faster team then back then so everyone knew it was going to be a close meet.

During warm-up, I was practicing my turns. Flipping myself in the water, I pushed off the wall and a sharp pain coursed through my ankle. I instinctively reached for my ankle, clutching it as if it would make it feel better. I somehow got out of the pool and hopped my way over to the office to get an ice pack. I sat down, knowing that I would still have to swim tonight. Not swimming wasn't an option because I knew we already had so many people gone.

I cheered my way through the meet, wincing during my first two relays as I had to dive off of the block. My bandaged ankle stung with every step and I desperately wanted to crash on my bed. The last individual event of the night is one that I always swim. The 100 yard breaststroke. I was nervous to say the least. I kept thinking that this would be my last event ever, besides varsity sections which was still weeks away. I dove off the block, once again trying to ignore the pain. I could see the girl next to me, and I was ahead of her so I knew... I was swimming great.

I ended up swimming that event with the worst time in five years. I was embarrassed and upset with myself. The Rebels ended up winning, thank goodness my loss hadn't cost the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment