Wednesday, September 21, 2011

state of frenzy

Tonight, September 21st, 2011, is the National Honor Society Induction Ceremony. As one of the officers this year, I will be giving a speech on one of the four pillars of NHS. My speech tonight is on the pillar of leadership; I have written and practiced my speech. Done. No problem for me, public speaking has never been a difficulty for me, probably because I enjoy talking too much.

The past few weeks during my fourth hour, which I spend being a Teacher's Assistant for Kim Denny, I have folded the programs, assembled the "candles" and printed out the certificates. Hours and hours of work just for this one night. This morning we had the practice ceremony during advisement, us officers went through and said everyone's names when we discovered that the spell corrections I had fixed on the program had not gone through. New member Logan's name still said "Lauren", oops. So after advisement, instead of going to my normal class, French level 5, Mrs. Denny and I raced back up to her computer, eager to fix the problem. We needed to print 200 new copies of the program and fold them by tonight.

As soon as we got to the room, we discovered another big problem. Denny was certain that she had left her jump drive---which contained the program template---at home! She gathered her things quickly and raced home. I sat and waited for a few minutes before deciding that I should keep looking around for that little red jump drive. The first desk drawer I opened contained the jump drive attached to a lanyard that said, "Rebels". I had found it! By opening the same drawer that I had seen Denny open to check if it was there five times. I quickly called her leaving a message of relief, telling her to come back to the school. Proud of myself, I sat down on her chair and typed in the correct spellings of names. Such relief.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you built the suspense throughout the story! Good job!

    ReplyDelete