Wednesday, September 7, 2011

typical morning in the boundary waters

The sun had just begun to shine, and the water on the lake was still unmoving and calm, only a slight breeze making the water ripple in delight. The grass was covered in dew, cold against my bare feet. The air was cold and fresh against my city-smelling nose. Silence was the only thing to be heard, I wondered if everyone else was quiet like me, admiring the baby blue sky, the dense pine trees and the glistening water. It was like a world of green separating two worlds of blue. The Boundary Waters if my favorite place to visit during the hot summers. The weather is cooler here because it is located near the northern tip of Minnesota. The trees across my island seem to dance in the wind, never completely still. The water is like glass, mirroring the light from the sky in a muddled reflection. My legs itch from the bites of the ruthless mosquitoes; but I am distracted by the site before me, holding my breath. The lone canoe that transports me from the lakes and rivers clunks against the shore. It is a familiar sound that I fell asleep to the night before. I remember the water being icy that morning during my swim, the rocks slippery covered in moss and slime. The seaweed, brushing against my leg was a snake for a moment. The landmass across from me is foreign. Technically, I stand on American soil and just a mere hundred yards separate me from Canada. The stunning quality of the way the trees contrast the water is something that doesn’t matter what country you are looking at, either way I can’t take my eyes off it. Time for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment