Monday, September 19, 2011

This past Sunday I was working my normal shift: noon until close. It was a solid fifty degrees outside. The ominous gray clouds painted the sky; it was the kind of day that made you want to curl up under blankets and sip on hot chocolate. Definitely not want to work, especially at a golf course. Days like this at a golf course meant that it would be empty. Every minute would seem like an hour. I work in the golf course's grill. It's a two to three person job normally, but today it was just me and the bartender that worked across the room from me. After my "lunch rush", which consisted of me making a BLT for my father, who worked in the Pro Shop, it wasn't much of a rush. After about an hour of no customers, I got out my checklist that our boss gives us of things we have to do before the end of our shift. Starting early on it would mean, more work for me later. The next task I needed to complete on the form said, "Cut fresh vegetables". We technically have a machine that will do that for you, but I much prefer to do it myself, plus I had a surplus of free time. I was cutting the onions, my favorite, I loved making the perfect little circles when I made a foolish mistake. The sharp knife I had been using, sliced through my thumb on my left hand. With pure shock from the pain, I grabbed the nearest towel and applied pressure as hard as I could.

I have always been a wimp when it comes to anything blood related. At the doctor, I almost always faint while receiving a shot, or when they take blood from my arm. To put it simply, I will never do anything in the medical field. I know it isn't a big deal, and I try my hardest not to psych myself out put nothing seems to work. My face and hands starts to get clammy, and I feel lightheaded. My stomach is swirling around uncomfortably, and usually my knees begin to buckle.

I hold the pressure on my thumb a few seconds longer, trying to find the courage to take a quick look at my cut. One... two... three... I say to myself. I remove the towel fast, and just as fast the blood almost begins to squirt out at me. Now nauseous, I replace the towel back on my finger, and squeeze my eyes shut.

This is going to be a long shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment