Tuesday, September 6, 2011

what's my writing process?

Before beginning any writing assignment, I approach the topic with my writing process. The first step of this process is to make sure I completely understand the writing prompt. There's nothing worse than beginning to write something and then realizing you are answering the wrong thing! Then, I begin to think of multiple ideas that would answer the prompt completely. When you have more ideas it makes it easier to write, which is helpful when tackling a bigger paper. Once I come up with my main idea, I start to organize my thoughts onto paper. This helps me know where I am going with my writing, rather than have jummbled thoughts. Next I would finally begin to write! Rough drafts are never perfect, so when writing things through the first time I rarely slow down to check things because that is what editing and re-editing is for. :) During editing of a bigger or important writing, I make sure to have others read what I have written. A second set of eyes always helps catch errors that have occured. After editing it's time to wrap everything up. Making a fresh new copy and reading though my work a few more times I have gotten into the habit of checking for certain things. These things include: a strong opening statement, supporting ideas and a well-written and complete conclusion.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you started it out by saying you need to make sure you understand the prompt. That gets me stuck sometimes when I have a blank sheet of paper and it seems like I have nothing to put on it. I agree with you about having multiple ideas. It is not always the biggest topic you can think of that is right for a certain paper, sometimes you have more to write about when it is a smaller topic because you can go into more detail. You have a very well thought out writing process!

    ReplyDelete